Saturday, October 25, 2008

Perfect Day

I had been looking forward to today for weeks. The Kimball Art Museum in Ft. Worth has 92 works from the Impressionists collection from the Art Institute of Chicago that I was determined to see. The exhibit ends on Nov. 2, so I waited until almost the end of the exhibit to see it. It was wonderful. I'm sorry that I waited so late to go because I won't have time to see the exhibit again before it returns to Chicago.

Monet, Manet, van Gogh, Cezanne, Degas...what's not to love? Monet is one of my absolute favorites, and we were treated to several of his paintings. The Artist's House at Argenteuil and Poppy Field (Giverny) made the biggest impression on me today. Caillebotte's Paris Street; Rainy Day was quite impressive as was Seurat's Oil Sketch for "La Grande Jatte" . I would love to go to Chicago to see the actual,full-sized painting.

Just to make the day more enjoyable, I got to spend it with my friend Julie and her daughter Trish. We had a great lunch at Esperanza's before going to the museum. (If you haven't eaten there, you should definitely give it a try.) The weather was wonderful...couldn't have asked for better.

Here's the icing on the cake that has nothing to do with my wonderful day in Ft. Worth: The marching bands from Paris High School and North Lamar High School competed in Area competition (state qualifier) today in Longview. Both bands placed in the top 7 during preliminary competiton today and competed in finals tonight. NL qualified for state (YAY NL!!), but Paris did not advance. This may have been the first time ever for Paris to make finals at Area. I know it's the first time in at least 14 years. What a great day for the Paris and NL bands!

3 comments:

Dee Martin said...

The only thing that could have made the day better would be for Paris to have advanced to state too (and going to the art exhibit too LOL)

Sherrie Kulwicki said...

Glad to see you are finally blogging again!! It's the only way I can catch up on you. ha Didn't know you were an art lover. My classy friend! Love ya!

Anonymous said...

I am jealous. I so wanted to catch the exhibit but, as you know, we had a change in plans, to put it lightly. Monet has always been on of my favorites, too. So glad you made it and we are glad to hear the good news about the bands. Wonderful!