Monday, June 30, 2008

Catching Up

Here's what's been happening with the Kornegays this month:

IRL Race. Chris and I celebrated the end of school in style...at least in a way that I really enjoyed. We decided at the last minute to go to the Texas Motor Speedway for the Indy Racing League race on June 7. What a blast! I had a great time, and Chris indulged me the whole night. We got to the track early, shopped in the souvenir stands, rented our scanners, got some junk food, and found our seats. IRL races in Texas aren't well attended, so we scored some awesome seats on the front stretch not far past the start/finish line. It was a great HOT night for racing, and we enjoyed ourselves. I called Karen from the track and told her that we have to consider the whole race weekend next year. She loves all things NASCAR, including the truck series. The trucks run on Friday night and the IRL guys run on Saturday night the first weekend in June. It would be great fun for us to go together.




Nat is home! Nat and Brandon got back from Greece on June 1o, although technically it was June 11 when they actually returned to Texas. They had a great trip, saw wonderful sights, and visited many locations where the apostle Paul worked, preached, and was jailed. They took hundreds of pictures and had great stories to tell. The toughest part of their trip was when they returned to the US. They landed in Washington, DC on time, but they were six hours late leaving DC. They got to DFW after at 1:00 AM on the 11th instead of 7:00 PM on the 10th. By the time we found out that their flight was delayed, we were already more than half-way to Dallas. We passed the time with Nick, Angela, and Ethan at Cabarras, Southlake Town Square, and finally at their house. Needless to say, we all slept pretty late the next morning since we didn't get home until around 4 AM. Brandon stayed until the 12th, so we had time to see all of their pictures and hear their stories. I'm so glad she had this opportunity. It was a great experience for her. Here's one of my favorite pictures of Nat and Brandon from the trip. They were in a beautiful place called Meteora. She leaves for Alaska for her next big adventure on Thursday.




Certification!! I am officially certified as a principal!!! Scary, isn't it? I got my official certificate in the mail last week. I can't wait to get it framed and hang it in my office. Who knows when I'll use it as an administrator, but I'm quite proud of myself for accomplishing it. I met a goal I set for myself several years ago, so I'm thrilled to have it.

Job Search. Nick has taken a job in Florence ISD as the band director. WOO HOO!! He reports to work tomorrow (July 1), and Angela and Ethan will join him as soon as they get an apartment secured. He's excited about it, but he's also a bit nervous about it. I know he'll do a great job. We'll just have to make sure we make lots of trips to Florence to see them. I have several friends who have children in the Austin area, so I'll just have to get together with them to make a road trip to see the kids. Just what I needed - another excuse to go to Austin!!

50th Birthday. Everyone was here to help me celebrate my 50th birthday last weekend. We kept Ethan while Nick and Angela went to a wedding in Little Rock, and they were back in time for us to celebrate together. Natalie got a great cake, lots of candles (though she didn't use 50 on the cake), and ice cream; Nick and Angela gave me lots of old people gifts (Depends, Fixodent, and prune juice); and I got lots of funny cards from family and friends. The best part about my birthday was spending it with my family. I really didn't want anything else.


If you've held on this long, you're up to date with the Kornegays. It's been quite a month, hasn't it?

No comments: